Biological and Model Membranes
Liposomes in Drug Delivery
Our laboratory has been working on the delivery of anti-HIV agents to HIV-infected cells using lipidic nanoparticles ("liposomes). We are currently working on methods to target cytotoxic liposomes specifically to HIV-infected cells in an approach to eradicate the source of the virus in infected individuals.
- D. Flasher, K. Konopka, S. Chamow, A. Ashkenazi, P. Dazin, E. Pretzer and N. Düzgünes (1994) Liposome targeting to human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected cells via recombinant soluble CD4 and CD4-immunoadhesin (CD4-IgG). Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1194:185-196.
- V.A. Slepushkin, I.I. Salem, S.M. Andreev, P. Dazin and N. Düzgünes (1996) Targeting of liposomes to HIV-1 infected cells by peptides derived from the CD4 receptor. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 227:827-833.
- E. Pretzer, D. Flasher and N. Düzgünes (1997) Inhibition of human immunodeficiency virus type-1 replication in macrophages and H9 cells by free or liposome-encapsulated L-689,502, an inhibitor of the viral protease. Antiviral Res. 34:1-15.
- N. Düzgünes, E. Pretzer, S. Simões, V. Slepushkin, K. Konopka, D. Flasher and M. C. Pedroso de Lima (1999) Liposome-mediated delivery of antiviral agents to human immunodeficiency virus-infected cells. Mol. Membr. Biol. 16:111-118.
- N. Düzgünes, S. Simões, K. Konopka, J.J. Rossi and M.C. Pedroso de Lima (2001) Delivery of novel macromolecular drugs against HIV-1. Expert Opin. Biol. Ther. 1:949-970.
- N. Düzgünes, S. Simões, V. Slepushkin, E. Pretzer, D. Flasher, I. I. Salem, G. Steffan, K. Konopka and M. C. Pedroso de Lima (2005) Delivery of antiviral agents in liposomes. Methods Enzymol. 391:351-373.