Prerequisites for Admission to the Master of Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS) Degree Program
All of the following admission requirements must be completed prior to submission of an application to the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA). The deadline to complete an application is March 1, 2017.
- Bachelor’s degree
- All prerequisite coursework
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0 (on 4.0 scale)
- Minimum overall science GPA of 3.0 (on 4.0 scale)
Prerequisite Health Care Experience
- Minimum of 1,000 hours of health care experience
Please note: Health care experience hours may be in-progress at the time of application submission, but must be completed prior to enrollment.
- All prerequisite coursework must be completed at an accredited US institution.
- A single course cannot be used to meet multiple requirements.
- No preference is given for coursework completed at 4-year institutions versus 2-year institutions.
Prerequisite Science Courses
Important! Pacific will NOT accept online or AP courses to fulfill science prerequisites.
General Chemistry: Two courses with labs. Total of 8 semester units or 12 quarter units with labs. Should be a course sequence designed for chemistry majors.
Biological Sciences: Two courses with labs. Total of 6 semester or 9 quarter units with labs. Should be a course sequence designed for biology majors.
Human Anatomy: One semester or quarter with lab is required. Total of 4 semester or 5 quarter units with lab (or combined Anatomy & Physiology).
Human Physiology: One semester or quarter with lab is required. Total of 4 semester or 5 quarter units with lab (or combined Anatomy & Physiology).
Microbiology: One semester or one quarter course. (Lab recommended, but not required.)
Prerequisite Non-Science Courses
Math: One course in Statistics (3 semester or 4 quarter units).
Psychology: Minimum of one course (3 semester or 4 quarter units). Must be a course in General or Introductory Psychology, or Abnormal Psychology, or Life Span/Developmental Psychology.
English Composition: Minimum of two (3 semester or 4 quarter unit) courses. English as a Second Language courses will not fulfill this requirement.
- Molecular & Cell Biology
- Abnormal Psychology
- Life Span/Developmental Psychology
- Additional Math – Algebra and/or Calculus
- Additional Writing or English Composition
- Medical Terminology
- All prerequisite course work must be completed at an accredited US institution.
- Baccalaureate degrees will be accepted from foreign institutions only if accompanied by a World Education Services (WES) evaluation of foreign training. CASPA also accepts the WES evaluation of transcripts.
- The entire curriculum is taught in the English language. If English is not your first language, you may be required to take the TOEFL and should submit your score with your CASPA application. The program will not accept applications with a TOEFL score less than 100. TOEFL scores are valid for two years after the test date per ETS website. View the TOEFL flowchart to see if it is required for you.