The Dugoni School has many student organizations that enrich the dental school experience. Collectively, they represent opportunities for students to get involved, to grow as individuals, to pursue knowledge in areas of interest and to make contributions to the community and the profession. Social, fraternal and professional organization memberships are open to all students in the program.
- American Dental Education Association (ADEA): ADEA represents all dental schools in the U.S. and is the primary voice of dental education. The Council of Students is one of seven councils of ADEA. The school's elected representatives to this council participate in the ADEA annual session and regional meetings. The council elects several student delegates who have full voting privileges in the ADEA House of Delegates. There is no charge for student membership.
- American Student Dental Association (ASDA): The first steps to building a great dentist includes developing a well-rounded person. Our ASDA chapter exists to advocate for the wellness, professional development, and personal development of dental students. The University of the Pacific Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry provides us with the capacity to hold such an organization, but this is not what makes us significant. Our ASDA chapter collaborates interprofessionally and reaches beyond dental students to hold events, lectures, and programs, but even this isn't what makes us significant. Our aim of executing opportunities that students dream of is what truly leads to our significance. When a student comes up to me saying, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if..." followed by an idea that could help dental students, our chapter aims to foster it and deliver what dental students, the people we do all of this for, think would best help their experience. Read about our activities and experiences in our Pacific ASDA 2016 Gold Crown Application (PDF). Visit our website. Check us out on Instagram. Follow us on Facebook.
- California Dental Association (CDA): Pacific students were the first in California to take advantage of the CDA's student membership category. Modest annual dues provide each student member with CDA publications and access to CDA meetings without charge, and the opportunity to enroll in a CDA-sponsored health plan.
- American Association of Women Dentist (AAWD): AAWD benefits its members from dental school through retirement. Our goal is to be the leading resource for advancing, connecting and enriching the lives of women dentists. We serve our members by offering lunch and learn presentations, community service outreach, and netwokring events.
- Pacific Dental Hygiene Student Professional Organization: The objectives of the American Dental Hygienists' Association are to cultivate, promote, and sustain the art and science of dental hygiene, to represent and safeguard the common interest of the members of the dental hygiene profession, and to contribute to the improvement of the public's overall health.
- Student National Dental Association (SNDA): The goal of the organization is to promote and support the academic and social environment of minority students in the field of dentistry and create opportunities for members to develop stronger alliances among each other. Being able to work with individuals from different backgrounds will allow students to become culturally competent practitioners.
Registered Student Organizations
- The American Association of Developmental Medicine and Dentistry (AADMD)
- Christian Medical and Dental Association (CMDA)
- Dugoni Practical Leadership Initiative (DPLI)
- Dugoni Tri-Dents
- Global Relations Club
- Military Dental Club
- Pacific Surf Club
- Performing Arts Club
- DETOX (Dentists Exercising Towards Overall X-cellence): Our goal is to encourage the embodiment of a healthy lifestyle by staying fit and active to maintain the ability of having a long and successful career . We organize events such as smoothie sales, weekly yoga classes, hikes around the city and surrounding areas, and even have a snowboarding trip in the works. Check us out on Instagram and like our DETOX page on Facebook. Find us on Facebook >>
- El Dentista Club: El Dentista Spanish Club aims to help dental students and faculty alike practice their dentally relevant and conversational Spanish. The club is for everyone from beginners to fluent speaker and focuses on medical terminology and important words and phrases applicable to our practice of dentistry. El Dentista also hopes to help members develop their Spanish oral hygiene instruction so that they will be able to volunteer for outreach events with Spanish speaking individuals. Our goal is to help make members more comfortable speaking Spanish and treating patients in the clinic via a fun and interactive learning environment. Find us on Facebook >>
- Student Community Outreach for Public Education (SCOPE): SCOPE is a student-run organization dedicated to community service. Created in 1994, the organization's mission is to involve students and faculty in oral health projects directed toward community needs. Students take an active role in sponsoring or participating in activities such as oral health screenings and educational sessions for children, families and senior citizens in the Bay Area. SCOPE also helps foster a sense of community health awareness and civic pride, a characteristic that will follow our students through graduation and into private practice. Throughout the year, students, faculty and staff volunteer their time at numerous health fairs, senior centers, elementary schools and non-profit agencies. SCOPE also sponsors the annual Give Kids a Smile Day and Senior Smiles Health Fair at the school. Please visit the SCOPE Web page for more information.
- Student Research Group (SRG): The Student Research Group (SRG) works to enhance the research culture at the Dental School by supporting collaboration between students and faculty members in current research projects. The goal of SRG is to promote the advancement of dental research and evidence-based practice. The SRG is a chapter of the National Student Research Group (NSRG)/American Association for Dental Research (AADR) and the International Association for Dental Research (IADR). Group members are encouraged to participate in various school events, attend the NSRG meeting and the annual AADR/IADR meeting. A member of the student group also represents Pacific each year at the ADA-sponsored Annual Dental Student Conference on Research in the Washington DC area.
National Dental Fraternities
- Alpha Omega: founded in Baltimore, Maryland in 1907 by a group of dental students, Alpha Omega's mission is to promote the profession of dentistry and establish a spirit of fellowship among members. Alpha Omega has about 6,000 active dentists worldwide.
- Delta Sigma Delta: founded in 1882 in Ann Arbor, Michigan, Delta Sigma Delta is an international organization designed to encourage scholastic achievement for dental students, foster high professional standards in dentistry and cultivate outstanding teachers and practitioners. The Nu Nu Chapter at the Dugoni School supports professional camaraderie, student research and network development for young professionals.
- Academy of General Dentistry (AGD)
- Aesthetics Study Club
- Endodontics Study Club
- Oral Surgery and Maxillofacial Surgery Study Club
- Orthodontics Study Club
- Pediatrics Study Club
- Periodontal Study Club
- Prosthodontics Study Club
Dental Mission Trips
- Fiji Dental Mission Group
- Jamaica Dental Outreach